Featured post

Why Write

(Reproduced verbatim from the 1st post on an old blog of mine - December 3, 2011) Questioning leads to better understanding, gre...

Saturday 12 July 2014

The Challenge of Reasoning Reasonably

"I thinktherefore I am"  - Rene Descartes.

The ability to think and reason is fundamental to human existence and progress. The method of reasoning (as opposed to a dictatorial method) is now accepted and used as a vital input to decision-making in a wide variety of personal and social settings. Especially so in democratic organizations - whether it be a family, society or nation.

The reasoning process followed thus becomes very critical to the attainment of the 'best' possible conclusion/outcome. Indeed, a lot has been written on reasoning errors (example). However, all of us continue to make errors of reasoning, thus hindering our growth and progress.

Below are a few thoughts that may make us more aware of our fallibility, and help us reason and conclude better.
  1. I used to think that thoughts lead to words, words to actions. In 2003, when I shared this with one of my best friends, he replied that he often finds just the reverse. People do what they wish to do, then justify by their words what they have done, and even make themselves believe that what they have done and said is right!
  2. Daniel Kahneman, the only non-economist to have won the Nobel Prize in Economics, explains (in his book Thinking, Fast and Slow) that often, we form opinions not because we find the reasons 'logical' or 'rational', but because we hear them from a trustworthy source. 
  3. Recently, I was presented with a very simple and beautiful application of Kahneman's theory. I was discussing geography with my cousin's 9-year old son. In response to his statement that the earth is round, I asked him how he knows/thinks that. His reply: "Amma (mother) told me so". This was a big learning experience for me.
Let us hence make a conscious effort to be aware of and acknowledge this phenomenon. And thereby reason better. Let us remember that, we might often be making up reasons to support the conclusion we like or believe in, rather than reasoning dispassionately without being biased towards any particular conclusion.

Wish you (and me) better reasons, arguments and conclusions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment